Saturday, February 21, 2015

Paleo Poodle....Pumpkin

While visiting my daughter a few weeks ago she mentioned how she mixes a bit of pumpkin in with her dogs kibble. She has a very handsome standard poodle that does not appear to be as finicky of an eater as Gypsy. She is the least food driven dog of all time. We've tried cooking for her, eggs, peanut butter, chicken, beef, raw, high end food, low end food, and everything else. When she gets a short haircut for the summer she appears to have just arrived from a refugee camp. We've never been able to put any weight on her. I pretty much have just accepted this as being just the way she is wired. During her last visit with the vet she did mention that it would be a good thing if Gyp put a few lbs. on as she is getting a bit older.
So, here we go with the pumpkin. I googled pumpkin for dogs on the Internet and it appears to be a good food supplement. I just happened to have a can in the pantry this morning so I mixed a bit up for the picky poodle.
As usual, she gobbled it up. She ate the entire bowl of food at one sitting. I"m trying to contain my enthusiasm though as this is what she usually does. She'll really seems to like something for the first few days and then she turns her nose up at it.

What to do with the rest of the pumpkin?

Sandi and I have been following a Paleo diet for the last few months. I don't really remember why we decided to do this. I think we just wanted to try to eat healthier. Anyway, it has been much easier than I thought it would be. To me the biggest challenge has been breakfast. It is my favorite meal and one that is usually rushed.
Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes!
I made these Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes this morning with Gypsy's leftover Pumpkin. They turnout not so bad. Pretty good actually. I need to tweak the recipe and then maybe I'll share it.

I'll keep you posted on Gypsy and the pumpkin kibble.

No comments: